Payments New is our basic payment entry tab for integrated payments giving you the ability to pull back open invoices from your matter management software and apply payments. Functionality is the same for the Payments Classic and Payments New tab. Payments Classic was the original tab used to process payments but Payments New was an interface redesign introduced in 2014. The new payment flow was designed to provide greater flexibility when searching for and applying payments, which significantly reduces the number of clicks it takes to process more complex payment scenarios. Both tabs remain active but the Payments New tab is recommended.
Client Information Search
- Go to the Payments New tab.
- Step One starts by entering a search parameter such as client name, contact, client number, invoice number or matter.
- Click the Search button to display results in the top box.
- Select the item(s) you wish to use. If your searches are complete, click the Add and Continue button. Otherwise, click the Add button in the middle of the page to accumulate results in the bottom box. Repeat the search process until all items are located. Then click the Continue button to proceed to Step Two.
Distribute Amounts and Apply Payments
Use the allocation tables to specify where funds for the payment you are processing should be applied
Use the Invoice Payments tab for open invoices. If you have multiple operating accounts, you will be able to use the drop-down box under Account to specify where funds should be deposited.
- Manually apply allocations.
- Automatically apply to oldest or newest invoices. Enter the full payment amount in the Amount to Pay field at the top of the invoice Payments results grid and click Oldest to Newest or Newest to Oldest. The system automatically applies funds in the order specified.
- Use the Pay button on the line item to automatically populate a full invoice balance in the Amount to Pay column.
- Use the Pay >> button in the grid header to populate the full invoice balance on all open invoices in the Amount to Pay column.
Use the Trust Payments tab for retainers. If you have multiple trust accounts, you will be able to use the drop-down box under Account to specify where funds should be deposited.
Once the distribution is set, scroll down to the Wallet Contents section at the bottom of the page. Use the drop-down box to select whether you want to manually enter new card information or use an existing wallet. If you are selecting an existing wallet, the only field that will appear are the Existing Cards drop-down box and the Email Receipts to: field. Use the Show/Hide Detail link to expand the screen to view card details.
Once payment method information has been entered or selected, click the Process Payment button to charge the card.
The last screen displays the transaction results. If approved, you will see "Congratulations! The payment request has been approved."
You will also see a recap of the transaction details including the transaction date, last 4 digits of the card number, card expiration date, amount approved, reference number and authorization code as well as where the funds will be deposited.
At this point, you can go to another area of ClientPay or use the New Payment button in the upper right corner of the screen to start over and run another transaction.